Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Triton WCA390 Blade Height Winder--A Workaround

I spent a frustrating 8 hours trying to align the saw blade of my Triton 2000 workcentre. I eventually discovered the reason why I could not get it right; the saw, power unit and blade, is attached to its base in such a way that depth and angle are adjustable, but a degree of rigidity has been lost in order to have this adjustability. There is too much sideways movement and slump for accurate work. The blade alignment changes when one adjusts the depth.






I googled and found the Triton WCA390 Blade Height Winder. With this accessory the power unit can be locked in one position relative to the base and the whole assembly moved up and down with the winder to adjust depth of cut. The following pictures illustrate how it works.







I went about looking for a supplier in South Africa without success. Several tool shops told me that they no longer stock Triton products. I wrote to Triton and did not get help from them. So, I made my own height winder. It’s not as difficult as it seemed originally.


I purchased 30mm X 5mm flat bar for the U Frame and a length of 10mm threaded rod. I figured the threaded rod would be a slow way of adjusting the height, but it would make small adjustments easier. The rest of the materials were scrap pieces of tube etc that I had. I spent just over ZAR50, about US$8.

I started with the saddle. I used some tubing with an inside diameter slightly bigger than the outside diameter of the U-frame tube. Cut two sections that enclose a PVC bearing cut from a piece of irrigation pipe.








I then attached the one half of the saddle to the threaded rod using a flat piece of scrap and some tubing. I figured brazing would be strong enough. I sandwiched PVC material in between the washers so I could eliminate play and still have the rod rotate easily.





The following pictures show the rest of the assembly. I used a piece of stainless steel tubing, left over from a balustrade job, to make the bracket that attaches the threaded rod to the saw base plate.






Constructing the U-frame is the easy part. I made some PVC blocks and shimmed them so the U-frame fitted precisely between the 2000 workcentre rails. Aligning the saw as described in the manual was too difficult. I marked the workstation base so I knew where the front of the blade had to be so it aligned exactly with the middle of the slot in the saw table top. I removed the “cam” type adjusters and just clamped the saw to the workstation base. It was easier.






It works! With the ruler laid up against the blade--it’s a one-meter ruler--the alignment of the saw blade is accurate to 0.5mm over that one meter. And it does not change when the height is adjusted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon

Just wanted to show my appreciation for your time and hard work

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory